Nine Things I Learned in the Nine-day Parliament
Alumnus Manol Peykov (’95; EMBA ‘08) served as a member of parliament in Bulgaria’s short-lived 45th National Assembly, starting on April 15, 2021 until May 11, 2021. The text below originally appeared in Bulgarian on his Facebook profile. It was then published in Dnevnik.
Sometimes it’s harder to just sit and listen than to do even the hardest work.
The famous 80-20 rule is also valid in the parliament: 80% of the talking is just theater, the other 20% are actual work.
During an election campaign, 99% of all that’s said is just pretend.
When a person stays in power for too long, they slowly start to believe they are the most insightful and the most capable; that no one should oppose them and that they are entitled to everything.
Even when you think people can’t hear or see you, people can hear and see you.
How do you know that you are among the right people, that you stand for the same principles and values? When you continue to be the same person in the parliamentary hall and in front of media that you are at home and among friends.
The lack of majority does not mean lack of resolution. Sometimes the wonder that is a floating majority can settle seemingly unsolvable issues.
The most important battles always take more time than a single parliament or government mandate. That’s why winning them requires vision, great devotion and true character.
We must remind ourselves every day that the greatest danger in politics is not being devoured by the dragon. It is turning into the dragon you’ve defeated.